Thursday, January 27, 2011

Zhao Huang--Response 2

In the essay “A Glimpse and a Hook”, the author talked about the process how he goes through people’s resume. He described each step as his thinking changes, and what key words can grab his attention. I never think about what the recruiters think about me when they read my resume, this essay is very interesting to me because the author wrote this like a short story. One thing to mention is that how much they care about the “company names”, the author said, “Do I recognize any companies that you worked at? If I do, I don’t look at what you actually do; I assume that if I recognize the company, I’m in the ballpark.” Personally, it’s an unfair way to decide whether the recruiters want to hire the candidates. There are a lot of people would like to work in small companies and gain more opportunities and experiences. Maybe you can think of it in this way, because the big companies selected this people, they must be good candidate for our company. But that’s not the truth, because different companies need different kinds of people, unless the recruiters think this company is similar with theirs, the “company names” is not helpful to know the candidates well.

In Barbara Mulligan’s “Build the Resume Employers Want”, the author talked about how to write a good resume and what kind of resume the recruiters prefer. It is a useful essay to me because Barbara does not talk about the resume in a general; it is really specific like what would go first and what should be put on the resume. The ideas about “objective” are very effective to me:“Feit says. “The more specific it is, the better. Then we’re able to route the resume to the appropriate people”. Most resumes I read only have one short sentence like “To find a full time job in the finance field.” it is very general and I never think I should write a specific objective, but now I may do so. In addition, the order we usually put on the resume is “education” before “experience”, but “Calhoun says she likes to see the section listing a student’s work experience placed above the education category”. It really surprises me since I think “education” is the most important part of me as a candidates, I may keep the original order since it is safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment