Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jongyoeb Kim (JK) - Response 02

A Glimpse and a Hook
The writer wrote about how he, as a recruiter, evaluate resume. Though I heard couple of times that recruiter do not spend too much time on reading our resume, I was again astonished by the fact that the writer only takes 30 seconds to look at my resume. However in other hand, this made me realize the importance of making “attractive” resume, which essentially motivated me to spend much more effort and time on building a strong resume. Another part that was shocking for me was that there are parts he does not read at all - “let’s talk about the parts of your resume I didn’t look at and never will”. This was surprising, as we spend so much time on resume but recruiters do read it? The writer also points out the parts on the resume he carefully examine such as job history and description. Hence this was truly helpful to me, as I know what recruiters look closely at. Also, I thought the writer is doing a fair job not seeing a school to be unbiased. Of course, there are reputations of school, but that does not necessary mean that the students from those high reputation schools are highly motivated, educated and socialized to take the job.

Build the Resume Employers Want
This article, like the first article tells us, gives advices for employees to write resume. It generally gives some idea what to write and what not to write on the resume. From this article, firstly I learnt that even I have activities that are not related to the job, I should write it because “It shows an ability to balance”. I tried to limit myself on writing all of my activities as I thought it is inappropriate to the job. Although writing such tedious activities (such as went to the callout of such and such fraternities) should be avoided, I thought it would be truly wise to write activities description (especially the ones with the passion). This way I could tell the recruiter that I have passion and energy! From reading this article, I was able to fix my existing resume – I moved my dean’s list from my honor category to education.

No comments:

Post a Comment