Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ken JEONG -response 2

The first impression of reading these two articles is “OMG! I have been doing wrong”. These articles not only give me a chance to know employers’ point of view when they read the resume, but also make me embarrassed in some points. Because it means until now, I wrote resume not knowing fundamental reason why I wrote it. I believe reading two articles make me to realize what the real meaning of the resume is. Until now, I believe resume is no more than brief profile or list of what I have done. I don’t consider it seriously as the only way to appeal myself to the employers who have no information about me. Whenever I wrote and revised my resume, I only thought in my side of view and have self-satisfaction that “I have done these things” and “I can write this activity on my resume to feel out the blanks”. I didn’t think about “Does employer really like this point?” or “what points make me different from other applicants to the employer?” But from now on, I believe I understand employers’ point of view, what points they really matter, and how I can express my strength to them effectively better than before. There are several things I realized on these two articles which I really need to consider when I write and revise my resume. First, job history and professional experience is important. On the first article, He expresses professional experience as a heart of resume. He wants applicants to show in depth what did they do in the previous work place. There is an another mention about experience in the second article. It says applicants should mention precisely what they learned from previous experience or activity even though they are not much related with the work they reply. Second, objective statement should not be “philosophy-of-life”. Objective statement should be more specific like the thesis statement for a term paper. Third, “subtle differences resume goes a long way toward keeping me engaged in reading it”. That means applicants need to use subtle visual difference to make it attractive. At this time, I learned several things from these two articles. At first I need to change template of my resume. I got my resume template from my father. My father recommends it because it is visually effective. But at this time, I want to make it more creatively but effectively. Also I think I need to change objective statement more purposely. Moreover I think it is a good idea to write more specifically about what I learned from my previous volunteer and internship experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment