Monday, January 24, 2011

Jongyoeb Kim (JK) - Job Market Research

I chose to take this opportunity to discover the internships, instead of the full-time job I would like to take upon graduation. I personally thought that researching internship opportunities was more valuable than researching full-time jobs, as I am planning to take an internship this coming summer to have some sense of my working environment before I get into the real field. The links below are the main four internship opportunities I researched on:

Companies Within the US
Companies in South Korea
  1. I could only find two major requirements for the internships above. Firstly, I have to be at least sophomore standing in Supply chain management or any related field in the current educational institution. This is a reasonable qualification as all four internships are targeted to give real experience to students with supply chain or operational management major. Secondly, I have to send a resume to the recruiters (either through CCO website for US companies or through email for Korean companies). There was a slight difference in GPA requirements for four companies; namely, LG and GE set a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0/4.0 to be eligible for applying, while others (Amazon and Hyundai) did not say a word about GPA. Other than that, there was no big difference between companies’ requirements. They all seem to require basic qualification as internship is not as serious as full-time job offer.
  2. All four companies offered competitive salary. The competitive salary for Supply chain internship tends to have an average of $14.00 per hour for US companies. For Korean companies, they did not provided the salary but I assume it would be little over minimum wage, which is $5.00 per hour. Although the salary has a big difference between two nations, counting costly expenses in the US, I believe my total revenue would be about the same. One another major difference is the housing offer. American companies (GE and Amazon) offered a housing assistance, while Korean companies do not. Those are only two monetary benefits I could obtain. Again, as this is an internship, companies do not offer Medical insurances or bonuses.
  3. Supply chain management is the management of a network of interconnected businesses involved in the ultimate provision of product and service packages required by end customers. Hence, it manages the routes of inputs and outputs of company in a cost effective and efficient way. Therefore, all of my selected internship opportunities are companies that generate net income from producing and selling goods or services; production companies. As a production companies, they must deal with technology with growth strategies (like LG electronics’ mission statement) – “Fast innovation” and “Fast Growth”.

No comments:

Post a Comment