Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Suizi Xiao-Response 02

By reading the articles, I believe that those two authors both work for the ministry of personnel in their companies or organizations. Obviously, they gain much experience with reading others’ resumes. In the first reading named “A Glimpse and a Hook”, the author shares his viewpoints about resume as a “reviewer”, in other words, his tone sounds like an employer. He mainly talks about what an employer would like to see in applicants’ resumes. In his points of view, most words in others’ resumes are worthless, which he would definitely skip over. It’s cruel, but it’s reality. For instance, students, including myself, sometimes pay much attention on describing their education backgrounds and skills. However, the employer might not identify with those things. He would rather pay attention to someone’s job history. As what he said, “Your professional experience is the heart of your resume”. This really makes me a little bit nervous,because I only served several internship during vacations before. None of them can be considered as a real job. In China, study hard is the “main task” for students, parents and teachers might even blame you if you take a part time job. Even worse, I don’t have many chances to get a job in the US as an international student. Thus, I realize that my resume would only take him 10 seconds to skim over, or even less. I find the article written by Barbara is more useful for me. It tells me how to build a resume that employer would like to see step by step. Especially, the part of “objectively speaking” sweep my mind, the way one express his or her thoughts could also changes others’ impression about himself/herself. Fortunately, the education part of my resume seems close to the requirements she suggests. I realize that there are so many comments after the first article. The one professor chooses is very interesting. If the employer can think so, I would really appreciate that. I’m the person who owns useful skills and no working history.

No comments:

Post a Comment