Monday, January 31, 2011

Jongyoeb Kim (JK) - Job Ad Analysis

1. The Amazon Inc is very popular retail seller through internet (named “E-tailer”). Not only that, Amazon is also making electric goods such as kindles. Due to its low price of goods, Amazon became a huge competitor of other big companies like EBay Inc, Barnes & Noble Inc, and Apple Inc. If you are living in the states, it would be nearly impossible for one to not hear about Amazon or not buy goods from Amazon.

2. Yes, Amazon has a website. It would be impossible to stay in business for Amazon, if it has no website. It uses website to advertise and sell goods; http://www.amazon.com/. For me, I looked at the career website for Amazon. There I was able to find out that, as a Fortune 500 company, Amazon was focusing on technological innovation to offer customers with more types of products more conveniently and at even lower prices. This is exactly in the hands of supply chain manager (which is my major); finding out ways to reduce costs of goods by managing the routes of inputs and efficiently delivering the outputs to the customers.

3. The most important keyword I can write on my resume is “minimize”. Like I said, supply chain management is essentially a key to reduce cost of a company only by selecting cheapest (but efficient and qualitative) way to get materials needed to produce such products. Hence, it is to “minimize” everything; it is to minimize costs of transportation, costs of materials, and essentially to “minimize” customers’ unhappiness of company’s product.

4. One of the most important skills needed to take an internship opportunity the Amazon gives is being familiar with supply chain management concepts such as forecasting, planning, optimization, and logistics. I personally believe that internship is an opportunity to develop this awareness. Being a student of Krannert School of management at Purdue University would provide me an excellent academic education needed in my field. However, education itself would not give me a real experience in my field. Hence, this is the main reason why I wish to take an internship at Amazon to attain experience and build my awareness of supply chain management to be in a better shape for future.

No comments:

Post a Comment