Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Zhining Hu - Response 04

I would like to talk about the first reading on farewell e-mails.

I've always thought that farewell emails won’t have a big impact (unless you revealed some ugly truth out to the public). No matter if you sent out an angry email or a light-hearted one, people would just talk about it over the week and it will be forgotten as time passed. You will still be in touch with the good friends you’ve made and those who aren’t really related to you really won’t care that much. However, I still think it would be nice to write one just to lighten up people’s days. Although, I would prefer farewell emails like Shugars’ to be written out as a letter and sent to the co-workers instead. I still hold the point of view that most of us won’t treat emails seriously and it will just disappear among all the work files and be deleted in the end. So if you planning a farewell email that is somewhat touching and full of valuable memories, I would suggest leaving a nicely enveloped letter instead. Of course, if the farewell email was just intended to be funny and unserious it won’t matter that much.

Therefore it actually depends on what type of farewell emails you are writing. Writing an email accusing those who have treated you unfairly it is definitely a way of getting all the depressed emotion out and not being responsible of the chaos you left them in. I have always been a person who tries to avoid direct conflict, so I guess that even if I am mad with my boss, I will try to write an angry farewell email in a sarcastic but humorous way than directly provoking them with offending words and accuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment